Care for Women by Women for all Your GI Needs
Expert Care – Emotional Support
DHC’s Women’s Wellness Center is designed to treat female patients by offering services targeted to their special needs in a supportive environment. It also features ‘women to women’ care, featuring DHC’s female gastroenterologists. Services include well care, in addition to screening such as colonoscopy, and diagnosis and treatment for all digestive concerns, conditions or diseases.
“We are here for women who want to deal with their GI issues one-on-one with another woman. We understand the needs of women both physically and emotionally, and we also take into account their lifestyles, schedules and privacy,” says Dr. Claudia Barghash who heads the WWC accompanied by Dr. Kristen Lee.
At the Women’s Wellness Center, we treat conditions commonly encountered by women. These include:
- Abdominal bloating
- Anorectal dysfunction/Pelvic floor dysfunction
- Fecal incontinence
- Malabsorption/Celiac disease
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Rectal bleeding
- Dysphagia/Swallowing disorders
See Us for Your Colonoscopy Screening
Despite the fact that colon cancer is the third-leading cause of cancer death for women, a 2005 study conducted by the University of Michigan found that some women prefer to delay or avoid colonoscopy if they aren’t sure the procedure will be done by a female doctor. The study researcher claims that in some cases, the preference is so strong it forms “an absolute barrier” to the procedure. However, fewer than 45 percent of the at-risk population has reported having undergone colon cancer screening within the past 10 years. In addition, at DHC, we are among the nationally ranked centers for colonoscopy results. We also uniquely feature an onsite CT machine, to perform virtual colonoscopies.
The Woman’s Wellness Center also refers patients to experts for additional services, such as:
- Colon cleanse/colonic hydrotherapy*
- Nutritional and dietary counseling
- Psychological and emotional support**
*Colon Cleanse is performed in a professional, medical environment, colon cleanse, done one or multiple times, is useful for constipation that has been resistant to treatment and medication. In addition, in some cases, it can be an option for cleansing prior to a colonoscopy. Colon cleanse should be undertaken only when not contraindicated, which is determined by our qualified doctors and staff. It is available for our patients, or those who seek to utilize our Center for this purpose only.
**DHC partners with area physicians and relaxation specialists for hypnotherapy and cognitive behavioral therapy referrals to employ a variety of stress management techniques.
The Case for ‘Women to Women’ Care
Studies have shown female doctors practice with a patient-centered communication style and have especially high satisfaction ratings.
Did you Know That…
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is two to three times more prevalent in women.
- In general, the GI tracts of women and men are the same. However, women experience disorders unique to hormonal fluctuations, pregnancy and delivery.
- Constipation, certain immune-mediated liver diseases, gallbladder stones and fecal incontinence are also more prevalent in women.
- Colorectal cancer screenings for women require special consideration. Women’s colons are more difficult to scope due to anatomical differences, and can be impacted by pregnancies or surgeries.
Digestive Healthcare Center is renowned for the diagnosis and treatment of all GI conditions and diseases. We are among the few in the area to offer certain state-of-the-art diagnostic tools. In addition, our procedures are done at our own onsite fully-accredited Central Jersey Ambulatory Surgical Center (CJASC).
For more information or to make an appointment at our Women’s Wellness Center, call (908) 218-9222.