Preparation Instructions for Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
DAY OF PROCEDURE:
- Your physician will instruct you as to whether or not you need to take any laxatives or enemas prior to your examination.
- DO NOT have any solid foods or dairy products after Midnight the day before your procedure.
- You may have clear liquids until 6 HOURS before your procedure (water, broth, clear apple juice, coffee/tea(no milk), ginger ale, etc.)
- After this time, NOTHING BY MOUTH including water, gum, candy or mints.
- Depending on the indication(s) for the procedure, an antibiotic may be given during the procedure.
- You may take your vital medications with a small sip of water.
- You may brush your teeth.
- This procedure is performed at Somerset Medical Center.
- Please arrive for your procedure promptly at your assigned time.
- Please make sure you have arranged ahead of time for a responsible adult (age 18 or over) to drive you home after the procedure.
- If you are a diabetic, to avoid dangerously low blood sugar, please do not take your oral medications for your diabetes or your insulin on the morning of your procedure. You can resume your diabetes medications after the procedure, once you have eaten. If you are taking insulin it is always a good idea to check with your endocrinologist or primary doctor as to the best way to manage your blood sugars. Please bring your insulin with you. IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT TAKING ANY MEDICATIONS, PLEASE CALL US.
- IF YOU ARE TAKING COUMADIN/PLAVIX/ASPIRIN IT MAY NEED TO BE STOPPED prior to your procedure. Please ask your doctor. These medications are usually stopped several days before your procedure.
- Wear comfortable, loose clothing such as a sweat suit. No metal should be worn including underwire bras or zippers. Leave all jewelry at home including belly rings & tongue piercings.
- If you are a smoker, it is advised that you do not smoke at least 6 hours before the procedure.
After the Procedure:
- You must arrange for a responsible adult (18 or over) to drive you home. Going home in a taxi is not allowed.
- The effects of the anesthesia can persist for 24 hours. After receiving the sedation, you must exercise extreme caution before engaging in any activity that could be harmful to yourself or others (such as driving a car). Do not make any important decisions and do not drink any alcoholic beverages during this time period.
- Take only the medication that is prescribed by your doctor.
- After your procedure, you may have anything you’d like to eat or drink. You will probably want to start with something light. Please include plenty of fluids. Avoid items that cause gas such as sodas and salads.
- If your procedure required the placement of a metal clip, you cannot have an MRI for 30 days.
If you have any questions, please call our office at (908) 218-9222.
See also: Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)